- Barnard, A. and J. Woodburn 1988. Property, power and ideology
in hunter-gathering societies: an introduction. In Hunters
and gatherers: property, power and ideoplgy (eds) T. Ingold,
D. Riches and J. Woodburn. Oxford: Berg Publishers; p. 4-31.
- Bettinger, Robert L. 1991. Hunter-gatherers: archaeological
and evolutionary theory. New York: Plenum Pres..
- Breton, Y. D. 1977. The influence of modernization on the
modes of production in coastal fishing: an example from Venezuela.
In Those who live from the sea (ed.) M. E. Smith. St.
Paul: West Publishing Company. Pp. 125-137.
- Brydon, Anne 1991. The eye of the guest: Icelandic nationalist
discourse and the whaling issue. Doctoral dissertation,
Department of Anthropology, McGill University.
- Cassell, Mark S. 'Farmers of the northern ice': relations
of production in the traditional North Alaskan Inupiat whale
hunt. Research in Economic Anthropology 10: 89-116.
- Cook, Scott 1982. Zapotec stone workers: the dynamics of
rural simple commodity production in modern Mexican capitalism.
Lanham: Univertsity Press of America.
- Descola, Philippe and Gísli Pálsson (ed) 1996.
Nature and society: anthropological perspectives. London:
- Durrenberger, E. Paul and Gísli Pálsson 1985.
Peasants, entrepreneurs and companies: the evolution of Icelandic
fishing. Ethnos 1-2: 103-122.
- ---- 1987a. The grass roots and the state: resource management
in Icelandic fishing. In The question of the commons: the
cultural ecology of communal resources (eds.) B. M. McCay
and J. M. Acheson. Tucson: University of Arizona Press. Pp.
- ---- 1987b. Ownership at sea: fishing territories and access
to sea resources. American Ethnologist 14 (3): 508-22
- Einarsson, Níels 1990. Of seals and souls: changes
in the position of seals in the world-view of Icelandic small-scale
fishermen. Maritime Anthropological Studies 3 (2): 35-48.
- Hewes, G.W. 1948. The rubric 'fishing and fisheries'. American
- Ingold, Tim 1988. Notes on the foraging mode of production.
In Hunters and gatherers: history, evolution and social change
(eds) T. Ingold, D. Riches and J. Woodburn. Oxford: Berg
Publishers; pp. 269-85.
- ---- 2000. The perception of the environment. London:
- Jorion, Paul 1984. Chayanov should be right: testing Chayanov's
rule in a French fishing community. In Chayanov. peasants,
and economic anthropology (ed.) E. Paul Durrenberger. Orlando:
Academic Press.; pp. 71-95.
- Kuper, Adam 1988. The invention of primitive society: transformations
of an illusion. London: Routledge.
- McCay, Bonnie M. 1981. Development issues in fisheries as
agrarian systems. Culture and Agriculture 11:1-8.
- Merchant, C. 1980. The death of nature: women, ecology,
and the scientific revolution. San Francisco: Harper and
- McGoodwin, James R. 1990. Crisis in the world's fisheries:
people, problems, and policies. Stanford: Stanford University
- Pálsson, Gísli 1982. Representations and
reality: cognitive models and social relations among the fishermen
of Sandger_i, Iceland. Doctoral dissertation, Department
of Social Anthropooogy, University of Manchester.
- ---- 1988. Hunters and gatherers of the sea. In Hunters
and gatherers: history, evolution and social change (eds.)
T. Ingold, D. Riches, and J. Woodburn. Oxford: Berg Publishers.
- ---- 1990. The idea of fish: land and sea in the Icelandic
world-view. In Signifying animals: human meaning in the natural
world (ed.) Roy Willis. London: Unwin Hyman. Pp. 119-133.
- ---- 1991. Coastal economies, cultural accounts: human
ecology and Icelandic discourse. Manchester: Manchester
- Russell, Susan D. and Maritsa Poopetch 1990. Petty commodity
fishermen in the Inner Gulf of Thailand. Human Organization
49 (2): 174-187.
- Sahlins, Marshall 1972. Stone age economics. London:
- Sigurjónsson, Jóhann 1982. Icelandic minke whaling
1914-1980. Rep. Int. Whal. Commn. 32: 287-295.
- Smith, Gavin 1985. Reflections on the social relations of
simple commodity production. Journal of Peasant Studies
13 (1): 99-108.
- Wenzel, George 1991. Animal rights, human rights: ecology,
economy and ideology in the Canadian Arctic. London: Belhaven
- Willis, Roy G. 1990. Introduction. In Signifying animals:
human meaning in the natural world (ed.) R. G. Willis. London:
Unwin Hyman Ltd; pp. 1-24.